Saturday, November 22, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday November 30, 2008

"Your Grace is Enough"

Matthew "Matt" Maher is a singer/songwriter/worship leader originally from Newfoundland, Canada, who later relocated to Mesa, Arizona. He has written and produced 3 independent albums, The End and The Beginning (2001), Welcome to Life (2003), and Overflow (2006). All three albums were produced by Maher, with Welcome to Life and Overflow both being co-produced by Maher and Nashville engineer Jeff Thomas.

Matt is most known for his song, "Your Grace Is Enough" which Chris Tomlin recorded on His 2004 Gold release, Arriving. The two met at a Youth Specialties conference held in Phoenix when Tomlin's band was asked to "back" Maher up. Tomlin instantly fell in love with the song. Since then, the song has become a popular worship anthem. Matt recorded a new version of the song, combining both his and Tomlin's versions, for the album "Empty and Beautiful". The song was released as a single on iTunes in March 2008, and reached #2 on Billboard's Adult Christian Contemporary Chart, where it remained in the top ten for over 8 weeks.

Click here to learn more about Matt Maher:
www.mattmahermusic.com/index.php

Click here to visit Matt’s myspace:
www.myspace.com/mattmahermusic

Click here to listen to how the song was written
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgGHA27nG4

Click here to worship along
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnE_e1LylY

click here to purchase "Your Grace is Enough"
Chris Tomlin - Arriving - Your Grace Is Enough

"Change in my Life"

Click here to listen to the song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lip2K4x2Mhg

Standing cold and scared on top of the hill Then came the moment when I lost my will I prayed for mercy please dont take me away Give me the sunshine when I only see rain The past had a hold on me It can't be denied and the changes didnt come easily I've been lonely, I've been cheated, and I've been misunderstood I've been washed up, I've been put down, and told Im no good But with you I belong Because you helped me be strong Theres been a change in my life since you came along

Click here to purchase "Change in my Life" Change In My Life - Single

"I saw the Light"

I Saw the Light" is a 1948 Gospel song written and first performed by Hank Williams.With poetic lyrics, such as "I wandered so aimless, life filled with sin/I wouldn't let my dear Savior in," the song was written about Williams' religious convictions. Though the song was not a commercial success upon its first release, it has become one of the songs most closely tied to Williams' career. Since its release, the song has been covered by numerous artists, including Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Acuff (1948), Bobby Bare (1966), Merle Haggard (1971), Etta James (2001), Bill Monroe (1958),Jerry Reed, Willie Nelson (1979), The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1972), Earl Scruggs (1972), Hank Williams, Jr. (1969), The The (1995), Johnny Cash (In a Columbo episode), and David Crowder Band (2005).

Click here to watch Roy Acuff & Hank Williams sing the song and visit the I saw the light webpage: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/pdcmusic/hank-williams-i-saw-the-light.html#History

Click here to listen to the song: www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i+saw+the+light&search_type=&aq=f

Click here to purchase Hank Williams' "I Saw the Light" Hank Williams - Hank Williams: 40 Greatest Hits - I Saw the Light

"O How I love Jesus"

Frederick Whitfield was an Anglican clergyman who lived from 1829-1904. The hymn he wrote, "Oh, How I Love Jesus", became a favorite in the evangelistic crusades of Moody and Sankey. It originally had 8 stanzas but only 4 are found in most hymn books. It was first written in tract form in 1855. The entire hymn revolves around the name of Jesus. What a powerful name! The name of Jesus promises us great things from the Father. It promises to be with us in every circumstance. How we should love Jesus for all the great things He has done and is doing for us.
There is a name I love to hear, I love to sing its worth;
It sounds like music in mine ear, the sweetest name on earth. It tells me of a Savior's love, who died to set me free;

It tells me of His precious blood, the sinner's perfect plea. It tells me what my Father hath in store for eve'ry day,
And tho' I tread a darksome path, yields sunshine all the way.
It tells of One whose loving heart can feel my deepest woe,
Who in each sorrow bears a part, that none can bear below.
Oh, how I love Jesus, Oh how I love Jesus,
Oh, how I love Jesus, Because He first loved me!

Click here to worship along on the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTv2Eg4lxBM

Click here to hear Elvis sing the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2z5IacR_3A

Click here to worship along with Melinda Watts:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0fI4FXJOM

Click here to purchase Randy Travis' "O How I love Jesus" Randy Travis - Glory Train, Songs of faith, worship & praise - O, How I Love Jesus (LP Version)

"Come Thou Long Expected Jesus"

Charles Wesley wrote over 6,000 hymns. Like most hymn­ists, his works were fre­quent­ly al­tered. In the pre­face to the 1779 Col­lection of Hymns for the Use of the Peo­ple called Meth­od­ists, his bro­ther John wrote:
I beg leave to men­tion a thought which has been long up­on my mind, and which I should long ago have in­sert­ed in the pub­lic pa­pers, had I not been un­will­ing to stir up a nest of horn­ets. Ma­ny gen­tle­men have done my bro­ther and me (though with­out nam­ing us) the hon­our to re­print ma­ny of our hymns. Now they are per­fect­ly wel­come to do so, pro­vid­ed they print them just as they are. But I de­sire they would not at­tempt to mend them, for they are real­ly not able. None of them is able to mend ei­ther the sense or the verse. There­fore, I must beg of them these two fa­vours: ei­ther to let them stand just as they are, to take things for bet­ter or worse, or to add the true read­ing in the mar­gin, or at the bot­tom of the page, that we may no long­er be ac­count­a­ble ei­ther for the non­sense or for the dog­ger­el of other men.
In addition to hymn writ­ing, Charles and John found­ed the move­ment which be­came the Meth­od­ist de­nom­in­a­tion.

Come, Thou long expected Jesus Born to set Thy people free; From our fears and sins release us, Let us find our rest in Thee Israel’s Strength and Consolation, Hope of all the earth Thou art; Dear Desire of every nation, Joy of every longing heart.

Click here for an instrumental arrangement: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg8OJf40LJE

Click here to purchase "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" Fernando Ortega - Christmas Songs - Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus

"Sweet Mercies"

This worship song was written by David Ruis. Click here to hear his story behind the song www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-238-SweetMercies-Ruis.mp3

Click here to learn more about David's ministry
www.davidruis.com/

Click here for the lyrics
www.mixed-up.com/lyrics/worship/sweet-mercies

Click here to purchase "Sweet Mercies"
Vineyard Music - Home Again - All Who Are Thirsty - Sweet Mercies

No comments: