Thursday, August 6, 2009

Behind the Praise - Sunday August 9, 2009

"So you would know"

This song was written by Al Hobbs. Al Hobbs may be a household name in Indianapolis because of a high-profile tenure at radio station WTLC that began in 1970 and ended in 1993.
Gospel music listeners know Hobbs for recordings he made leading the Indianapolis Mass Choir in the 1980s, plus dozens of albums other artists made for his Aleho label between 1992 and 2003.Hobbs graduated from Central High School in Louisville, Ky., as a classmate of Muhammad Ali.

Click here to listen to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgMK6hqaFc

Click here for an acapella version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UjyhkmiCE&feature=related

"All the Earth will sing Your Praises"

Paul Baloche says that this song was his attempt to write a song that would cover the story of Jesus from the cradle to the empty grave, a song that would encompass the gospel.

Click here to hear Paul talk about the song.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-312-AlltheEarthWillSing-Baloche.mp3

Click here to worship along with Paul
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rY7dwwqYs

“Hosanna”

I see the King of Glory Coming on the clouds with fire
The whole earth shakesThe whole earth shakes
I see His Love and Mercy Washing over all our sin The people sing The people sing


Hosanna hosanna Hosanna in the highest
Hosanna hosannaHosanna in the highest

I see a generation Rising up to take their place With selfless faith With selfless faith
I see a near revival Stirring as we pray and seek We're on our knees We're on our knees


Hosanna hosannaHosanna in the highest
Hosanna hosannaHosanna in the highest

Heal my heart and make it clean Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

Hosanna hosannaHosanna in the highest

Hosanna hosannaHosanna in the highest

Brooke Gabrielle Fraser is an award-winning New Zealand singer/songwriter. Brooke is the eldest of the three children born to former rugby star Bernie Fraser and his wife Lynda. Brooke started taking piano lessons at age 7 and she continued to take these until she was 17. She started writing songs at age 12 and taught herself the acoustic guitar at 16. Brook started performing at the ''Parachute Festival'', a Christian music festival held annually in Australia and has continued to do so each year since 2000. She is one of the worship leaders at the Hillsongs church in Sydney, Australia.

Click here to visit Brooke’s myspace:
www.myspace.com/brookefraser

Click here to listen to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7SMUf6QcyQ

“Here I Am to Worship”

If songs are like children to their writers, then 25 year-old Englishman Tim Hughes carried "Here I Am To Worship" to full term, letting the reverent tune take perfect shape over a nine-month period. Back in 1999 while still in college, he first sat down to craft a musical response to his reading of Philippians 2:5, which says, "Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus." And from the start, he had the humility part mastered. "I was playing around with my guitar when the verse just came out," he modestly recalls. "However, I couldn't get a chorus that I was happy with. The original one was embarrassingly bad!" Thankfully, Tim recorded the verse into his Dictaphone, and months later during a quiet creative time, he patched it together with another strong melody idea and brought "Here I Am To Worship" to fruition.

"I'd been reading about the cross and thinking through Jesus' amazing sacrifice," Tim says of the lyrical theme. "Sometimes when God meets with us we don't quite know how to respond properly. It's often too much for us to take in. Hopefully in a small way the chorus captures that: 'Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down. Here I am to say that you're my God. You're altogether lovely, worthy, wonderful.'" Although the song had been completed, the writer was still not convinced of its potential. Leading worship at his Soul Survivor home church one day, Tim sang "Here I Am To Worship" for his fellow members and was duly advised by his pastor Mike Pilavachi to start using it more often. Since then, Hughes - who built his own chops leading Delirious and Matt Redman favorites - has seen the song take on a life of its own. It must be a God thing.... People have seemed to really connect with it, and we've had some special times in worship using the song," he admits. "I remember one time at the end of a Worship Together conference in San Diego when we'd been performing the song. The band stopped, and then the congregation just kept singing the chorus for about 15 minutes."

Click here to listen to the story behind the song by Tim Hughes.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-196-HereIAmtoWorship-Hughes.mp3

Click here to worship along with Michael W. Smith:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kAjok4-Uk

Click here to read more about the composer Tim Hughes
www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/worship/1227531/

"Take my Life and Let it Be"

Frances R. Havergal wrote the following about how he wrote the song: I went for a lit­tle vi­sit of five days (to Are­ley House). There were ten per­sons in the house, some un­con­vert­ed and long prayed for, some con­vert­ed, but not re­joic­ing Christ­ians. He gave me the pra­yer, “Lord, give me all in this house!” And He just did. Be­fore I left the house ev­ery one had got a bless­ing. The last night of my vis­it af­ter I had re­tired, the gov­ern­ess asked me to go to the two daugh­ters. They were cry­ing, then and there both of them trust­ed and re­joiced; it was near­ly mid­night. I was too hap­py to sleep, and passed most of the night in praise and re­new­al of my own con­se­cra­tion; and these lit­tle coup­lets formed them­selves, and chimed in my heart one af­ter ano­ther till they fin­ished with “Ever, On­ly, ALL for Thee!”

Click here to hear a newer version of the hymn
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzbwcMG9Gc

Click here for a great arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9Pi4g_3No

"Come Thou Fount" Offertory - Amanda Millard

Robert Robinson, following the tradition of ministers of the time, wrote "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" as a hymn-poem for the conclusion of his sermon for Whitsunday, 1758. He was 23 years old at the time. It was published the following year in A Collection of Hymns used by the Church of Christ in Angel Alley, Bishopsgate (1759). There has been some speculation that it was written by the Countess of Huntingdon, but it is generally agreed to be the work of Robinson.

Originally "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" had four stanzas. The fourth stanza was omitted by Martin Madan in Psalms and Hymns, 1860 and has not been used since. The statement in stanza two, "Here I raise my Ebenezer" refers to I Samuel 7:12, "Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far the LORD has helped us." Ebenezer is the Hebrew for "Stone of Help." Israel had suffered defeat because of its sin. But the people had repented of their sin, God had helped them and they were victorious. Samuel placed the stone to remind Israel that God had them, their victory was because of Him.
In stanza three, Robinson speaks of being "prone to wonder, prone to leave the God I love". This seems to be a forecast of his later life, when he lapsed into sin, unstableness and involvement with Unitarianism. There is a well-known story of Robinson, riding a stagecoach with a lady who was deeply engrossed in a hymnbook. Seeking to encourage him, she asked him what he thought of the hymn she was humming. Robinson burst into tears and said, "Madam, I am the poor unhappy man who wrote that hymn many years ago, and I would give a thousand worlds, if I had them, to enjoy the feelings I had then."

Click here to watch and sing along with the Gateway church version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFNvhbuNg4&mode=related&search=

If you like more of a traditional arrangement check out this choir arrangement here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhU0HgTq94&mode=related&search=

No comments: