Thursday, July 26, 2007

Stories behind the songs - Sunday July 29, 2007

"Testify"
We'll begin our worship Sunday with choir singing "Testify".
This song was popularized by the Crabb family.
click here to listen our worship choirs' recording from "Songs in the Key of Life" www.firsthurst.com/HURST_worship_resources.php

"Come Thou Fount, Come Thou King"
This arrangement is by Thomas Miller, Worship Pastor of Gateway Church in Southlake, Texas. I had the opportunity to visit with Thomas during my sabbatical, he said the added chorus came to him on a Saturday morning watching college football. He was singing through the order for that evenings service and wanted to have some kind of transition to the next song and the following simple chorus came to him.
"Come Thou fount, come Thou King,
Come Thou precious Prince of Peace;
Hear Your bride, to you we sing,
come Thou fount of our blessing."
The original hymn was composed by the 18th century Methodist pastor and hymnist Robert Robinson. The hymn is set to an American folk tune known as Nettleton, by attribution to the evangelist Asahel Nettleton who composed it early in the nineteenth century. Robinson penned the words at age the of 22 in the year 1757.

Click here to watch and sing along with the Gateway church version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFNvhbuNg4&mode=related&search=
If you like more of a traditional arrangement check out this choir arrangement here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhU0HgTq94&mode=related&search=

"That's Why we Praise Him"
Check out Tommy Walker here http://www.tommywalker.net/
Click here to listen to the song:
http://wordmusicnow.com/Song.asp?SongID=100

"I'd Rather Have Jesus" The Priddy family will share this great song.
At the age of 23 George Beverly Shea (1909 - ) had a hard decision to make. He could accept a job offer in a secular singing position in New York City with a great salary and wide respect; or he could continue singing in churches and for Christian radio programs. While sitting at the family piano, he started to prepare a special hymn for the Sunday service. On the piano he found a poem by Mr. Rhea F. Miller. He immediately began to compose the music for the poem and used the song that same morning in his father's church service. He also used those words to direct his life and has shared his song, "I'd Rather Have Jesus" with audiences around the world.

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land;
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand:
Than to be the king of a vast domain or be held in sin's dread sway!
I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today.
I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than world-wide fame;
I'd rather be true to His holy name
He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb
He's all that my hungering spirit needs
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead


Here is a great clip of the Crabb family singing this great song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT4DkKjfJGE
Here is a clip from one of the Gaither Videos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34lUGEmv10

"Everyday with Jesus"
Words by Robert C. Loveless & music by Wendell P. Loveless written in 1936.
Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before.
Every day with Jesus, I love Him more and more;
Jesus saves and keeps me, and He's the One I'm waiting for.
Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before.


"Break Through"
This is another great song by Tommy Walker, you'll want to listen to this one you can find the song here
www.firsthurst.com/HURST_worship_resources.php


Break through, break through all my doubts
Break through, break through all my fears
Break through that I may worship You
Break through, break through all my pain
Break through, all my guilt and my shame
Break through like only You can do

You are brighter than my darkest night
Stronger than my toughest fi ght
Just one touch from You my King, my friend
And I’ll never be the same again
Break through, break through
Billy Guy will share a Ralph Manuel arrangement of "Give me Jesus"
click here to learn more about Ralph
"Revelation Song"
This song by Jennie Riddle is a great worship song. Jennie is a homemaker in McMinney, Texas. This song is sweeping the country and literally being sung around the world.
Click here to listen to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FObjd5wrgZ8



Brad Horn will bring the message Sunday.
Click here to find out more about Brads ministry in the Ukraine.
www.reachukraine.org/
Click here to read Brads' testimony.
www.firsthurst.com/images/BH%20Testimony.pdf
Even better send Brad an encouraging note his email is listed here
www.firsthurst.com/HURST_missions_ukraine.php

No comments: