Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stories behind the songs - Sunday Nov. 25, 2007

For flowers that bloom about our feet;
For tender grass, so fresh, so sweet;
For song of bird, and hum of bee;
For all things fair we hear or see,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee!
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"My God Lives"
We do this song a lot, but I love how it paints the picture of the gospel. This song was originally recorded at Fellowship Church in Grapevine. My favorite line is “He went to the cross for my sins and in three days He rose again, and on His throne He reigns for eternity”

"Come Thou Fount, Come Thou King"
This arrangement is by Thomas Miller, Worship Pastor of Gateway Church in Southlake, Texas. I had the opportunity to visit with Thomas during my sabbatical, he said the added chorus came to him on a Saturday morning watching college football. He was singing through the order for that evenings service and wanted to have some kind of transition to the next song and the following simple chorus came to him.
"Come Thou fount, come Thou King,
Come Thou precious Prince of Peace;
Hear Your bride, to you we sing,
come Thou fount of our blessing."

The original hymn was composed by the 18th century Methodist pastor and hymnist Robert Robinson. The hymn is set to an American folk tune known as Nettleton, by attribution to the evangelist Asahel Nettleton who composed it early in the nineteenth century. Robinson penned the words at age the of 22 in the year 1757.
Click here to watch and sing along with the Gateway church version
http://www.blogger.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFNvhbuNg4&mode=related&search=
If you like more of a traditional arrangement check out this choir arrangement here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhU0HgTq94&mode=related&search=

"Thou, O Lord"
This is one of our Choirs' favorite anthems, based upon the Psalm 3
Psalm 3
A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.
1 LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." 3 But you, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, the one who lifts my head high.
4 I call out to the LORD, and he answers me from his holy mountain.
5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
6 I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side.
7 Arise, LORD! Deliver me, my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. 8 From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.
Click here to hear the Brooklyn Tabernacle choir minister the song:
Click here to hear the Lee University Campus choir minister the song:

"New Every Morning"
This song is based on Lamentations 3:22-23
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
click here to hear a recording of the song http://www.blogger.com/www.worshipmusic.com/vmd8076.html
Click here to learn more about the composer
www.scottunderwood.org/
"Amazed"
Click here to read an interview of the composer Jared Anderson
You dance over me
While I am unaware
You sing all around
But I never hear the sound
Lord I’m amazed by You
Lord I’m amazed by You
Lord I’m amazed by You
How You love me
Click here to worship along with Jared Anderson
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0adHGUdxo
Click here to watch a video montage of the song (clearer audio)

"Offering"
This song is by Paul Baloche. Paul Baloche has written some of this generation’s most compelling worship songs, songs that have become the soundtrack for believers all over the world in times of worship both corporate and private. His approach to his calling is simple, yet profound: “The best worship songs come as a byproduct of worship.”
Click here to watch the iworship dvd of the song
Click here to worship along with Paul Baloche

"The Solid Rock"
One morning it came into my mind as I went to labour, to write an hymn on the ‘Gracious Experience of a Christian.’ As I went up Holborn I had the chorus,
‘On Christ the solid Rock I stand,All other ground is sinking sand.’
In the day I had four first verses complete, and wrote them off. On the Sabbath following I met brother King as I came out of Lisle Street Meeting…who informed me that his wife was very ill, and asked me to call and see her. I had an early tea, and called afterwards. He said that it was his usual custom to sing a hymn, read a portion, and engage in prayer, before he went to meeting. He looked for his hymn-book but could find it no where. I said, ‘I have some verses in my pocket; if he liked, we would sing them.’ We did, and his wife enjoyed them so much, that after service he asked me, as a favour, to leave a copy of them for his wife. I went home, and by the fireside composed the last two verses, wrote the whole off, and took them to sister King…As these verses so met the dying woman’s case, my attention to them was the more arrested, and I had a thousand printed for distribution.
Click here to listen to an arrangement by the Cadet sisters
here is a gospel arrangement by the
here is a more traditional arrangement of the song on organ
Offertory this Sunday is Mark Kent singing "Thankful"
Here is Caedman's call singing the song:
Click here to watch a video montage of the song

No comments: