Thursday, May 22, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday May 25, 2008

"Friend of God"
Israel Houghton serves as one of the worship pastors for Lakewood Church in Houston. Here is a portion of his amazing story.
I really should have been one of those abortion statistics you read about. My mother became pregnant with me when she was 17. My mother's white and my biological father's black. Her family wasn't supportive of their relationship and gave her the choice to have a back-alley abortion or to be disowned. I'm here because of the decision she made-and because of her conversion shortly after that. So when I lead worship I'm crazy. I realize how fortunate I am to be called by God and to be protected, to be covered by him. I'm incredibly grateful.

I grew up in a fairly legalistic home. My parents loved God, and they did the very best they could with what they knew. They came from a very discipleship-oriented, fairly heavy-handed way of doing kingdom work. So I would have more easily said, "I am afraid of God" than "I am a friend of God." The view I had of God was dysfunctional, almost like he was looking for opportunities to punish me. That was more what I caught than what was taught. But the more I said "I am a friend of God," the more that old, condemning view was purged from my life. I gained a healing sense of God saying, "I want to know you."

Here is a devotional thought on the song
www.gospelflava.com/articles/songinword-friendofgod.html

Here is an interview with Israel that gives great insight into Israel’s walk with the Lord. www.cbn.com/700club/guests/interviews/israel_houghton_041205.aspx

Click here to listen to the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0SO7IvtXM

"I will Bless the Lord"
This song was written by Byron Cage:
Inspired by the singing of the late, Rev. Donald Vails and Thomas Whitfield, Cage began singing gospel music as a teenager. He also served as music director for the New Birth Church in Atlanta for a decade.

Musical career
Byron's credits include performing with Dottie Peoples and providing background vocals for BeBe Winans and Commissioned on their Will U B Ready? album in 1989. He has also worked with the GMWA National Mass Choir, Ebenezer A.M.E. Mass Choir CD, Full Gospel Baptist Mass Choir, and Bishop Dennis Leonard's Heritage Christian Center Mass Choir. Together with his nine-vocalist group, Purpose, which he formed in the mid-'90s, Cage has recorded 2 live albums of spirituals: Transparent in Your Presence, Dwell Among Us and his solo projects include An Invitation to Worship album, a self-titled LP recorded Live at New Birth Cathedral in Atlanta, Georgia, and his upcoming release Live at the Apollo: The Proclamation.


Click here to worship along with Byron Cage:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzywqoC6hdk

"You are Good"


Click here to learn more about Israel Houghton's ministry.
www.profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=99989541

Israel leads a worship band called "New Breed" here's their website, you can listen to portions of the songs they sing including "You are Good"
www.newbreedmusic.com/

Click here to learn more about Israel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Houghton

Click here to worship along with Israel:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAGZ8HmiWCM

Click here to see Israel singing "You are Good" in concert:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCpy1Bg255A&feature=related





"All My Life"

This is a powerful worship song by the Parachute Band John 8:36 says: 'So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed'. All My Life was written in response to the freedom found in Jesus. It's a simple song, but it's a simple message. Jesus is my freedom and my reason and I love Him with all my life.

Click here to worship along with the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKPgBadLLI


"Believe" This song is by Kirk Franklin and will be sung by the ensemble Tetelestai.

Click here to listen to the song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp3w-1qNOKU




"Jesus Paid it All"
I received this email from Alex Nefong in England who wrote the song:
Sure man... I have an old hymnal that I frequently play through sometimes during my private times alone with the Lord. I was playing through that song one day in Jan of 05 and I just started praying and singing out the phrase O praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead. It was as simple as that. Just a prayer that came right out of my heart. Thanks for asking Mark.

This is a new arrangement of the old hymn, based on the recording from the Passion album "Everything glorious". It adds a new line "O praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead".

Check out the composer of the tag on his website
www.alexnifong.com/


Here’s a story about the song:The words were written by Elvina M. Hall and the music by John T. Grape on New Year’s night, 1886, some missionaries were holding open-air services in order to attract passers-by to a near-by mission, where meetings were to be held later. "All to Christ I owe" was sung, and after a gentleman had given a short address he hastened away to the mission. He soon heard footsteps close behind him and a young woman caught up with him and said: "I heard you addressing the open-air meeting just now; do you think, sir, that Jesus could save a sinner like me?"The gentleman replied that there was no doubt about that, if she was anxious to be saved. She told him that she was a servant girl, and had left her place that morning after a disagreement with her mistress. As she had been wandering about the streets in the dark, wondering where she was to spend the night, the sweet melodies of this hymn had attracted her, and she drew near and listened attentively. As the different verses were being sung, she felt that the words surely had something to do with her. Through the whole service she seemed to hear what met her oppressed soul’s need at that moment. God’s Spirit had showed her what a poor, sinful and wretched creature she was, and had led her to ask what she must do. On hearing her experience, the gentleman took her back to the mission and left her with the ladies in charge. The young, wayward woman was brought to Christ that night. A situation was secured for her in a minister’s family. There she became ill and had to be taken to a hospital. She rapidly failed and it became evident that she would not be long on earth. One day the gentleman whom she had met on New Year’s night was visiting her in the ward. After quoting a few suitable verses of Scripture, he repeated her favorite hymn, "All to Christ I owe"…and she seemed overwhelmed with the thought of coming to glory…Two hours afterward she passed away.

Click here to worship along
www.youtube.com/watch?v=onxhvivQYfI

Click here to worship along with a younger generation led by Kristian Stanfill:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OOjfaBGnA&mode=related&search=

You can go here to Kristians' myspace and click on the song just to listen
www.myspace.com/kristianstanfill

WOW - here it is in Spanish
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRBtWP_buA



"Legacy"
This song will be sung by Lisa Warren one of our seniors. The song is by Nicole Nordeman.
Click here to learn more about Nicole:
www.nicholenordeman.com/

Click here to listen to Nicole sing the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0S0ep-QsNI

No comments: