Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday October 12, 2008


"Today is the Day"

This song was written by Lincoln Brewster with Paul Baloche. Lincoln believes there is power when we sing God's word back to Him. Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." We are to live each day as if it's our last.

Click here to listen to Lincoln share how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pved9U-P1g

Click here to listen online:
www.last.fm/music/Lincoln+Brewster/_/Today+Is+The+Day

Click here to worship along with Lincoln Brewster:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngHP6ppfRw4

Click here if you'd like to purchase this song:
Lincoln Brewster - Today Is the Day - Today Is the Day


"Gonna lift You up"

This song is by Jonathan Butler & Israel Hougton. Jonathan is the youngest of twelve children. He began singing publicly in South African townships at the tender age of seven. Not even in his teens, Butler's talents as a singer and guitarist were recognized and he soon found himself touring his poverty-stricken country in a traveling variety show. Though his musical abilities would soon take him away from the world he grew up in, Jonathan would neither forget the plight of his fellow South Africans nor the man who ultimately led them to freedom

Click here to learn more about Jonathan:
http://www.jonathanbutler.com/

Click here for an arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1em9houPH0

Click here to listen online:
http://www.imeem.com/people/dF7ZXZm/music/DRjVtQVC/jonathan_butler_gonna_lift_you_up/
Click here if you'd like to purchase this song:
Jonathan Butler - Brand New Day - Gonna Lift You Up

"Everlasting"

Brenton Brown wrote this song after both he and his wife had being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Brown described their illness in the following excerpt from Christianity today.

Brown: It's called fibromyalgia, a form of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. What defines it are the symptoms, the most obvious ones [being] fatigue. You feel jet-lagged most of the time. There are other symptoms like nausea, muscle pain, muscle aches. There's no known cure. Basically it was just like waking up one day and finding out that I had someone else's body. Very strange. I wasn't thinking as clearly. And over the last three years we've basically had to relearn how to live life with our new bodies. It's been a challenge.
Chronic Fatigue is a little bit like having mono[nucleosis]. You feel very fatigued, very drained. And no matter how much you sleep, you're still going to feel tired. You can never shake off that tired feeling. I just kept going for six months. And then my pastor, the board of our church and the group of doctors that I was seeing all decided, "This is not working. You're not going to be able to force your way through this."
Brenton Brown, born in South Africa, is a Christian songwriter and worship leader. He left South Africa for Oxford, England in his early twenties on a Rhodes Scholarship. While studying politics, philosophy and theology he joined the Vineyard music (UK), serving as worship pastor at the Oxford Vineyard, UK, and eventually as coordinator of the Vineyard (UK) Worship Development Team. His songs, Lord Reign in me, All who are thirsty, Humble King, Hallelujah [Your love is amazing] and Holy were recorded on the popular Vineyard UK projects during this time. He has since left the UK and now lives in Malibu, California with his wife, Jude. Brenton is an artist on the worship label Survivor and in 2006 released his first solo album, Everlasting God with Survivor in the UK and rest of the world, and with Sparrow in the United States and Canada.

Check out Brenton’s ministry here:
www.brentonbrownmusic.com/

Click here to listen to him share about how the song came about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePOcs88kqw

Click here to listen to Lincoln Brewsters' arrangement
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP2nz6PG8KM&mode=related&search=

Click here to listen to Brenton Brown & Paul Baloche
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLWwnVBuF8

Click here if you'd like to purchase this song:
Brenton Brown - Everlasting God - Everlasting God

"Rescue"
Click here to listen to the story behind the song:
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-232-Rescue-Anderson.mp3

Click here to listen to the song on Jared's myspace.
http://myspace.com/jaredandersonmusic

Click here if you'd like to purchase this song:
Desperation Band - Desperation - Rescue

"I Stand Amazed in the Presence"

This hymn was written by Charles Gabriel. Growing up on an Io­wa farm, Ga­bri­el taught him­self to play the fam­i­ly’s reed or­gan. He be­gan teach­ing in sing­ing schools by age 16, and be­came well known as a teach­er and com­pos­er. He served as mu­sic di­rect­or at Grace Meth­od­ist Epis­co­pal Church, San Fran­cis­co, Cal­i­for­nia (1890-2), then moved to Chi­ca­go, Il­li­nois. In 1912 he be­gan work­ing with Hom­er Ro­de­heav­er’s pub­lish­ing com­pa­ny. His ed­it­ed some 43 song books, 7 men’s chor­us books, 19 an­them col­lect­ions, and 23 can­ta­tas.

I stand amazed in the presence Of Jesus the Nazarene
And I wonder how He could love me, A sinner condemned, unclean.

How marvelous, how wonderful And my song shall ever be.
How marvelous, how wonderful Is my Savior's love for me.

For me it was in the garden He prayed, "Not my will, but thine"
He had no tears for His own griefs, But sweat drops of blood for mine.

He took my sins and my sorrows, He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calv'ry, And suffered and died alone.

When with the ransomed in glory His face I at last shall see,
'Twill be my joy thro' the ages, To sing of His love for me.

Click here for an arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCoX4tRoT8

Click here for another arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkFOtaO8B9c&feature=related

Click here if you'd like to purchase this song:
Calvary Worship - Let the Whole World Hear - I Stand Amazed In the Presence

"His eye is on the Sparrow"

The following is taken from Civilla D. Martin's journal.

Early in the spring of 1905, my hus­band and I were so­journ­ing in El­mi­ra, New York. We con­tract­ed a deep friend­ship for a cou­ple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doo­lit­tle—true saints of God. Mrs. Doo­lit­tle had been bed­rid­den for nigh twen­ty years. Her hus­band was an in­cur­a­ble crip­ple who had to pro­pel him­self to and from his bus­i­ness in a wheel chair. De­spite their af­flict­ions, they lived hap­py Christ­ian lives, bring­ing in­spir­a­tion and com­fort to all who knew them. One day while we were vi­sit­ing with the Doo­lit­tles, my hus­band com­ment­ed on their bright hope­ful­ness and asked them for the se­cret of it. Mrs. Doo­lit­tle’s re­ply was sim­ple: “His eye is on the spar­row, and I know He watch­es me.” The beau­ty of this sim­ple ex­press­ion of bound­less faith gripped the hearts and fired the imag­in­a­tion of Dr. Mar­tin and me. The hymn “His Eye Is on the Spar­row” was the out­come of that ex­per­i­ence.
Civilla Martin
The next day she mailed the po­em to Charles Gab­ri­el, who sup­plied the mu­sic. Sing­er Ethel Wa­ters so loved this song that she used its name as the ti­tle for her au­to­bi­og­ra­phy.


Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,And I know He watches me.

Click here to listen to Lauren Hill:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Pk5YMkEcg

Click here to worship along with Mahalia Jackson:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gta4B1MBU0

Click here for the arrangement from Sister Act 2:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gta4B1MBU0

Click here to listen to Lauren Hill:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Pk5YMkEcg

Click here if you'd like to purchase this song:
Selah - Greatest Hymns - His Eye Is On the Sparrow

No comments: