Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Behind the Praise - Sunday March 8, 2009


"Trading My Sorrows"

Here is a short description of how this popular song came about:This song was birthed out of a prayer and worship service at Open Bible Fellowship in Tulsa, Okla. It was an ordinary night. The room was filled with voices lifting up the name of Lord and worshiping Him. Toward the end of the service people began to step forward for prayer. Darrell watched as one by one, people came - their hearts heavy, some weeping and some still dealing with deep sorrows. Kneeling before the Lord, they allowed their deepest pains to be exposed and their lives to be healed.As he watched, the Lord began to speak to his heart about his own internal condition. Evans had been holding onto personal shame that was consuming him. His gaze once again moved to the people bowing before the Lord. The worship continued and Darrell in agreement with the Lord said two words, "Yes, Lord." He kept singing. The words of what would become 'Trading My Sorrows' simply came to him as he recounted all that he was experiencing. People were coming forward heavy hearted but leaving with their burdens lifted. It was one of those rare times when the Spirit decides to speak succinctly, and the result is part of the Church's musical history.At that very moment "Trading My Sorrows" was written, nearly word for word. It is an expression of the miraculous love and grace of the Lord being poured out onto a people full of sorrow and pain: "I'm trading my sorrows/I'm trading my shame/I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord." The words flowed not only from what he could see God doing in the lives of the people, but also from what he knew God was doing in his own life.Evans felt the mood of the room change from the tenderness of the moment to a joyful celebration, for the Lord had made this exchange possible - a literal trade of mourning for dancing. People laid down their emptiness, guilt, pain, and sorrows and in exchange, received joy and love from the Lord.

Click here to hear the Women of Faiths' version: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GglZPS7dWho

Click here to listen to Darrell Evans songs on his standalone player: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=36203670

"It's Not in Vain"

This song is sung by the Brooklyn Tabernacle choir. This song reminds us that the work of the Lord is not in vain. We'll be rewarded one day, for the things done out of a pure heart for the Lord.

"The Lily of the Valley

The lyrics to this gospel song were written by
Charles W. Fry, 1881. They first ap­peared in the Sal­va­tion Ar­my’s The War Cry, De­cem­ber 29, 1881. Fry wrote the lyr­ics in Lin­coln, Eng­land, while work­ing with the Sal­va­tion Ar­my there.

I have found a friend in Jesus, he's everything to me, he's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul; The Lily of the Valley, in him alone I see all I need to cleanse and make me fully whole. In sorrow he's my comfort, in trougle he's my stay, he tells me every care on him to roll. He's the Lily of the Valley, the bright and Morning Star, he's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.

Click here to worship along with Greater Vision: www.getalyric.com/listen/0CFy55_As-4/_the_lily_of_the_valley_fairest_lord_jesus_greater_vision

Click here to worship along on the song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utqeibkb0Ps

“The Family of God”

This song was written by Bill & Gloria Gaither on an Easter Sunday afternoon. Their church had experienced a tragedy on Saturday night when one of their members was involved in a fire and explosion. They were talking about how glad they were to be a part of “the Family of God” and the song came forth.

Click here to hear the testimony of the man involved in the tragedy:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH783EfujsM

"He Knows My Name"

This worship song was written by Tommy Walker. Tommy shared in a recent interview his conversion and call experience.
When I was 11 years old – that was a very big year in my life. That's when I gave my heart to the Lord, and I started playing guitar. This group Love Song, which was one of the first Christian rock bands of all time, was touring through town. That night they were in my living room, and Chuck Girard – the piano player – was playing my mom's baby grand piano, and we were singing a few songs together. It was one of those moments. I said, "That's it. That's who I want to be when I grow up." It was actually a very profound moment. It's through worship music that God really touched me and spoke to me. It's only natural I'd pursue that.
The following is how Tommy wrote the song:

The story of how “He Knows My Name” was written is not very exciting, nor is it inspirational. Basically it’s a story of just trying to be faithful to do my job. In that way, it is a story of self-discipline. Let’s just say, routine discipline stories are far from riveting. However, the fruit of the smallest act of discipline and obedience can be quite another story altogether. When my pastor, Mark Pickerall, wrote a sermon with the title “He knows my Name,” he asked me if I could write a song to go with it. I felt utterly uninspired that day; but out of the discipline of song writing, which is part of my job description, I dug in and gave it a shot. I remember thinking as the words and music began to come to me, “wow, this is the simplest song I’ve ever written. Maybe it will work in kids’ church”. Well I went ahead and finished it – something all songwriters struggle to do when something isn’t coming out just right. And like a good, obedient, somewhat disciplined worship leader, I taught it to my church and basically, nothing happened.
A few months later, the women of my church sang it at their women’s retreat and suddenly God moved. They told me that a sense of the love of God entered the room in such a powerful way that many of them were weeping and experiencing all kinds of inner healing. When I heard this, I thought maybe I should give this song one more try. The following weekend, we sang it at church and sure enough it happened: People began to weep. But the funny part is that I also began to weep. God was speaking so intimately to me reminding me that he knew my name and was concerned about the things that concerned me. *(pg 3 He Knows my Name – Tommy Walker integrity press)

Click here to read more about Tommy Walker:
www.tommywalker.net

Click here to listen to Tommy’s music on his myspace site:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=97429791

Click here to hear Tommy sing “He knows my name”
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgaB38tUBEc

Click here to worship along with the Promise Keepers worship team:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsiWoyjw60

"Amazing Grace" (My Chains Are Gone)

This song was co-authored by Chris Tomlin and Louie Giglio. Chris was touched by the story of John Newton and his testimony of God’s grace. In researching the song Chris discovered that the traditional final verse “When we’ve been there ten thousand years” was actually added a hundred years later. Chris and Louie added this verse back in along with the new bridge-chorus.

Here is the original last verse:
“The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbid (forget) (forbear) to shine
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine”

Click here to hear Chris Tomlin share about how he wrote the alternate chorus:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU_4lIik9D8
Here is more information on how the song came about. www.youtube.com/watch?v=IliVc9JqW0I
Click here to watch the music video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXV6HJxUebg&mode=related&search=

Click here for a piano arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6tliyTqX3E


No comments: