Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Behind the Praise - Sunday November 1, 2009


"New Doxology"

This is a new arrangement of the traditional Doxology. The added verse was written by Thomas Miller worship pastor at Gateway church in Southlake, Texas.
Click here to listen to Thomas share about how he wrote the additional verses from the third person:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhN5sdKLDcQ

A doxology (from the Greek doxa, glory + logos, word or speaking) is a short hymn of praise to God in various Christian worship services, often added to the end of canticles, psalms, and hymnsThis doxology has widespread use in English circles, in some Protestant traditions commonly referred to simply as "The Doxology" and in others as “The Common Doxology”, is:Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;Praise Him, all creatures here below;Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

This text, which was originally the seventh and final stanza of "Glory to thee, my God, this night", a hymn for evening worship written by Thomas Ken in about 1674, is usually sung to the tune Old 100th, but also to Duke Street by John Hatton, Lasst uns erfreuen, and The Eighth Tune by Thomas Tallis, among others.

Click here for a recording of the Gateway version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7VhWC4TAU

Click here to listen online:
www.rhapsody.com/gatewayworship

Click here to hear and see the Doxology
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCGwJvKRBY&mode=related&search=

Click here to hear one of the most accomplished guitarist present a unique version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBE6dfT87yo&mode=related&search=

“When I speak Your Name”

The following is a testimony from Elizabeth Clark who wrote the song.

Music as well as the Word of God has been a part of me even from the beginning of life in my mother's womb; and I have done my best for the past 20 years to follow hard after the heart of God. I have been leading worship for ten years, in youth groups, women's conferences, outdoor events, marriage conferences, worship conferences, youth camps, and have opened for Carmen,Sierra, and Scott Kripaynne, and I have also shared the stage with Rita Springer, Klaus Kuehn, and Lenny Leblanc. Worship leading is not something I just do, I really try to live it, for I was born to worship my Creator. He just happened to give me the gift to sing, play the piano, and write songs. He is my true love.

CHRIST FOR THE NATIONS has been a major part of influence, and a molding and shaping ground for me. I attended there in the fall of 2002-2004, and will never forget the memorable moments of pure and intimate worship, as well as the high praise that went up! God is truly leading the way there. Klaus Kuehn,(a man of wisdom, transparency, and a love for his Savior) has played one of the major roles of inspiration and encouragement in my life and "world of music". I praise my God for what he has done, what He is doing, and what He will do!

Click here to visit Elizabeth Clarks’ myspace:
www.myspace.com/elizabethclarklucid

Click here to listen to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2dGtHd5a4k

Click here for another arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygJlLn3vwc

“Brethren We Have Met to Worship”

As a Methodist minister in the early 19th Century, George Atkins began his pastoring in the churches of the Ohio Conference. In 1818, he transferred to Knoxville, Tennessee. Later, in 1826, he received an appointment to preach at Abingdon Town, Virginia. In addition to his ministerial duties, Atkins was also involved with newspapers.In 1819, a year after his arrival in Knoxville, Aktins was inspired to write a powerful hymn text that seemed to distill the essence of the church's purpose as Atkins saw it. This included preaching the Word of God, comforting those in need and saving the souls of sinners be they family, friends or total strangers. In every task, however, Atkins reminded the listener that their various effort were worthless without prayer, which was the key to enabling the grace of God. Atkins compared God's grace to the food that helped sustained the children of Israel during their years in the wilderness--holy manna; bread from heaven. While it is not certain, the hymn may have been used in revival, for it certainly depicts a revived and empowered church as it would have appeared in the culture of the time.Atkins' hymn was first published in 1825 as part of the collection entitled 'The Columbian Harmony' (Cincinnati, Ohio: Morgan, Lodge, and Fisher). The hymn collection was edited by musician William Moore (19th Century) of Wilson County in Central Tennessee. Atkins' text was paired with a melody thought to be written by Moore himself. Appropriately, the melody was called Holy Manna.

Click here to hear the melody and read the words www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/r/brethren.htm

Click here for a guitar arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw35oK2K1S4

Click here for an organ arrangement: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uphfgg4MTdY&feature=related

"Give us Clean hands"

Charlie Hall wrote this song as a prayer for his generation in 1994. He said he wanted to be a part of the generation that was sold out to seeking God with their whole hearts. When he wrote the song he sensed his generation huddling and praying this prayer, "Oh God let us be the generation that seeks your face Oh, God of Jacob."

Charlie was struck by though that the generation that seeks after him will find him, they will ascend the hill of the Lord. He started praying this scripture and then he says the song just came forth.
The song is based on Psalm 24:3-63 Who may ascend the hill of the LORD ?Who may stand in his holy place?4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.5 He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior.6 Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob.

Click here to listen to how Charlie Hall wrote this song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hkQS8A8FiY

Click here to listen to the song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl5zSB3A-Z8

Click here to visit Charlie’s myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=60771694

Click here to learn more about Charlie Hall:
www.charliehall.com/

Click here to worship along with Charlie Hall
www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGbkeWkA64

“Ancient Words”

The following is taken from Lynn Deshazo’s journal on how she wrote this song:

Friday, June 11, 2004 at 10:00
The longer I walk with the Lord, the more love and appreciation I have for the
Bible and for those whom God has used throughout the ages to make it
available to me. I suppose that's the real impetus for my writing "Ancient
Words". I think that I started writing it in the closing weeks of 1998. I'm certain that I finished it on January 13, 1999. I wish I could remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the idea introduced itself, but I cannot. I was probably doing "normal" things on a "normal" day. What I do remember was how compelling the idea became, and how much I wanted to write it as a contemporary hymn.

Hymn styles certainly vary, but words like "classic" and "timeless" come to mind.
Gerrit Gufstafson, a songwriter and teacher in the body of Christ, calls hymns the
"redwoods" of Christian worship songs because of their enduring appeal. On the other hand, my friend Tina, who didn't grow up in a traditional church, would probably call them "boring". If you mention "hymn" to her, she makes a face! More often than not, though, "hymn" is a word that suggests "roots". In this era of rapid change, there is something very comforting to me about knowing that my faith is rooted in something
This "longing for things ancient", as Gerrit would put it, is a contemporary trend. What we really long for, of course, is not just "things ancient", but a relationship with the Ancient of Days. As we read God's letter of introduction, the Bible, we discover His invitation to enter into a covenant relationship with Him and also the means by which we may walk with Him day by day, in our day. We learn how to live life as it was really meant to be by embracing the wisdom of these
"ancient words", and thus we receive the power to change.

Click here to learn more about Lynn:
www.lynndeshazo.com

Click here to worship along with Michael W. Smith:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVfs4qLISw

Offertory Sunday is "Know my Heart" by Sara Groves, and sung by Carrie Hollingsworth

Why do I pray? Do I pray to say I prayed an hour?
Why do I love? Do I want you beholden to me?
Why do I help? Do I help to hear my name called out?
And why do I sing?

Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.
All I have ever really wanted –Clean hands and a pure heart.

Why do I give? Do I give so I can get a blessing?
Why do I praise? Do I praise to do the right thing?
Why do I serve? Do I serve so others will serve me?
nd Why do I sing?

Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.
All I have ever really wanted –Clean hands and a pure heart.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks