Wednesday, June 16, 2010

BEHIND THE PRAISE - Fathers Day - June 20, 2010

“I am Free”

Click here to listen to Jon talk about being desperate for the Lord:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=px68ruEnOjk&feature=related

Jon serves as the Youth Worship Pastor and Graphic designer for New Life Church in Colorado Springs.


Jon Egan: (responding to the Ted Haggard situation) One of the things I marvel at with our youth is that they love the community that they have with each other. When the news hit, I think all they wanted to do was be together as a family. We opened up our offices to our youth right after it happened, and it was flooded with people who were laughing, crying, playing games, and counseling each other in the corner. There was confusion, for sure, but there was great resolve too—in their commitment to each other and to this family.

Click here to visit Jon Egan’s myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=34106535

Click here to worship along with Promise Keepers:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjaC6AfuFLY&feature=related

Click here to worship along with the Newsboys:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq3ZFdpOGYs&feature=related

Click here to worship along with Michael W. Smith in Brazil:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8_KO18A0Lw&feature=related

"I will Boast"

Read more about Paul Baloches' ministry here
www.leadworship.com/paul/about.html

This song is based on the verse Jeremiah 9:24

"Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

The Apostle Paul, writes this in 1 Corinthians 1:26-31:"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written(in Jeremiah 9:24): "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Click here to worship with the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiAFexAeqc

"That's When God Steps In"

Click here to listen to this song by HisSong:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-tpR35pgc

Click here to check out HisSong:
www.hissongmusic.com/index-6.html

"You are My All in All"

This powerful worship song was written by Dennis Jernigan. Dennis Jernigan is a singer-songwriter of contemporary Christian music. He is native to Oklahoma, and headquarters a music-based ministry from there. Self-avowedly ex-gay, Jernigan now lives in Muskogee, Oklahoma with his wife and their nine children. Jernigan has been married to his wife for more than twenty five years.
A primary source of inspiration for Jernigan's message and music is an experience he describes as his "deliverance from homosexuality". Jernigan states that this began during a 2nd Chapter of Acts concert in Norman Oklahoma.Jernigan believes his prior identification as homosexual was related to an erroneous childhood perception that he had been rejected by his father.
As a boy I needed a role model to show me the way to manhood. But because I felt rejected by the main man in my life I, in turn, rejected him and began to yearn for intimacy with a man in perverse ways. Because of this wrong thinking I came to believe I was homosexual. It must have begun early in my life because I remember having those feelings for the same gender at a very early age.
It was then [during a critical moment at the 2nd Chapter of Acts concert] that I lost the need to be accepted or loved by others because I realized Jesus would love me and accept me no matter what, even when I was rejected by others! It was also at this same time that those sexually perverse thoughts and desires were changed...and He began to replace them with holy and pure thoughts about what sexual love was all about.
Following the experience at the concert, Jernigan developed a ministry based on his personal experience, which he shares at churches and other locations around the world.
Dennis has written many of the worship songs we sing including "Who can Satisfy", "We will worship the Lamb of Glory", "I belong to Jesus", "When the night is Falling" and "You are my all in all". Here are some links that will share more about Dennis' ministry.

Click here to listen to Dennis share about the song; http://shareyourstorynow.org/2007/09/19/dennis-jernigan-jesus-worth-every-struggle/

Click here for an article about Dennis
www.okbu.edu/news/view_article.php?id=1127

Click here for Dennis' website
www.dennisjernigan.com/

Click here to hear Dennis ministering in Brazil * must see
http://mickey.tv/r/Video.aspx?v=B_O6TUAMWIw&key=Dennis+Jernigan

Click here to hear Dennis’ share about his daughters’ traffic accident and her amazing story:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K2KX9yy2v4

Click here for an arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC617kE1maU&feature=related

"Tell me the story of Jesus"

The famous blind hymnist, Fanny Crosby, wrote the words to “Tell Me the Story of Jesus.” Blind from the age of six weeks, Fanny Crosby, never allowed self-pity to guide her heart. Instead, she was taught by her devout grandmother to allow Jesus to lead her. And so she did. She became one of the most prolific Christian writers in the late 1800’s in America, writing over 8,000 hymns—so many, that many hymn publishers used as many as 200 pseudonyms so that their hymnals would not be called “Fanny Crosby” hymnals. This particular hymn, “Tell Me the Story of Jesus” was published in a hymnal called The Quiver of Sacred Song in 1880. The hymnal was edited by William Kirkpatrick who was good friends with the composer of the melody of this tune, John Sweeney.

John R. Sweney wrote the melody for “Tell Me the Story of Jesus.” Sweney’s musical career began at an early age when he began to teach public school music. By 19, he was studying piano and violin under Professor Bauer, a German music teacher. Three years later, he was the Third Delaware Regiment’s band leader during the American Civil War. That led to his becoming music professor and Christian writer at Pennsylvania Military Academy where he worked for over 25 years.

Click here to listen to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cclh18f3Fc4

“Above All"

Paul's Story

On a Tuesday morning a few years ago at my church, alone at the piano, I began worshiping The Lord. As I sang, I started thinking of how Jesus is so much greater than all the temporal things that our culture esteems as great - power, fame, riches, wisdom, etc. The words just came out…."Lord, you are above all kingdoms, above all thrones, above all wonders the world has ever known..." Over the next year, I tried to write a chorus that fit the verses, but I never felt like it was "the one."Then one day, Lenny LeBlanc and I got together to write. I played him about twenty ideas for songs and the only one that caught his ear was the verse for " Above all" that had no chorus. He woke up the next morning and said, "How about.... 'Crucified, laid behind a stone...like a rose trampled on the ground....'" " Whoa!" I thought, "What a contrast, what a picture - that's Jesus. The One who is and always will be above all, was willing to be crucified and rejected, just to demonstrate His love for an unappreciative world."By the time we got to "You took the fall and thought of me....above all," Lenny and I were in tears. The revelation hit us and broke our hearts. It made us realize how worthy He really is. That He truly deserves our worship.This song means a lot to me because it came from an honest place. I wasn't " trying" to write a song originally. I sincerely just wanted to worship Him and praise Him for His greatness. Getting to finish the song with Lenny was such a bonus since he has been such a mentor and friend to me for years.I have had many people tell me through tears that they feel such love for the Lord as they sing "Above All." The revelation that The God of the universe was willing to humble himself to the point of crucifixion and death, just to reveal His love for us inspires a broken and contrite heart - like a fragrance of worship coming from a broken jar of perfume.I remember one time in particular that I heard people singing "Above All" in worship. I was sitting on the floor with my children, watching the inaugural prayer service for President Bush on Fox News Live. Michael W. Smith walked up to the piano and began to sing "Above all powers, above all kings....." Tears began to pour out from my eyes. My 8 year-old daughter asked, "Are you all right Daddy? What's wrong?" I replied, "Honey, these are happy tears." I'm humbled and blown away that a simple prayer of worship, started at my little piano, found its way to The President of the United States. The possibility that this song could be an encouragement to Him is such an honor. " I pray that he would draw strength and wisdom from The One who is above him......and above all. It blesses me to know that Jesus will be worshiped with this song for years to come.

Lenny's Story

When Paul Baloche and I finished writing "Above All," I somehow knew in my heart that it would touch millions of people. It all started when Paul and I got together to write some songs for my soon to be recorded project for Integrity Music. Paul flew in and arrived late in the afternoon. We spent the rest of the day talking and kicking around song ideas that we had started. As the evening progressed, Paul played me the verse to "Above All" except for a few lines that we later changed. Something about the verse really touched me and I told him I thought it was a great idea. He shared with me that he had written several different choruses for the song and had even sung them in various forms during worship times at his home church. He also said he wasn't happy with any of the versions he had written. We chatted for while then headed off to our rooms.Early the next morning before Paul woke up, I started playing around with a chorus idea. Later on that morning, we started and finished the song " Closer." After a short break, I played my idea for an "Above All" chorus. Paul really liked it and we began fine tuning the song. Every time we got to the line, "Like a rose trampled on the ground," we would both begin to weep. Here we were - two grown men in a puddle of tears trying our best to finish writing a song.I think the reason "Above All" has impacted us so powerfully - and many others including Michael W. Smith, is because it's such a beautiful picture of how a God that is above everything, would become like a rose trampled on the ground, take the fall and think of us….above all."

Click here to listen to Paul share about how the song came about:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3JklFhKmvE

Click here to worship along with Paul:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrMSEwDo8o&feature=related

No comments: