Thursday, January 24, 2008

Stories Behind the Songs - Sunday January 27, 2008

"Friend of God"
Israel Houghton serves as one of the worship pastors for Lakewood Church in Houston. Here are some links with information on this popular worship song. Here is a devotional thought on the song www.gospelflava.com/articles/songinword-friendofgod.html
Here is an interview with Israel that gives great insight into Israel’s walk with the Lord. www.cbn.com/700club/guests/interviews/israel_houghton_041205.aspx
Click here to listen to the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0SO7IvtXM


"You never let Go"
This powerful new song by Matt Redman has been described as follows from Christianity Today:

"You Never Let Go" begins with a quiet piano and moody atmospherics that mirror far-from-ebullient lyrics based on Psalm 23: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death/You're perfect love is casting out fear/And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life/I won't turn back, I know you are near…
The chorus is a loud, exultant proclamation that God will never let go of us and in it Redman uses the minor-key construction to subtly (and maturely) declare that God's love is still valid, even in the midst of pain.
Click here to listen watch the video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAdgLR1ZGw
Click here to read more about Matt Redman on his myspace - you can play the song directly from his stand-alone player and can buy the song from his website
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=120781688

Lyrics:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn backI know You are near
And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with meWhom then shall I fear?Whom then shall I fear?

Oh no, You never let go Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let goLord, You never let go of me
And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troublesB
ut until that day comes
We’ll live to know You here on the earth

Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You

"When I think about the Lord"
James Huey wrote this song at thirteen years of age, here is a brief testimony by James:

I was born and raised in Phoenix Arizona. I began writing songs and playing the piano at about 9 or 10 years old. I knew that around 12 years of age, I was called to be a praise and worship leader. After high school I went to Christ For The Nations where they recorded my song, “When I Think About The Lord”. I wrote this song when I was 13 years old.
After CFNI I went to The Rockford Master Commission.
Now My wife, Latesha and my three children , James , Marie and Nia Live in Tulsa Oklahoma, where I am the Worship Leader at Eastland Assembly Of God.


Click here to listen to James Huey sing the song his myspace standalone player
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=160577615
Click here to worship along with the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1wMnGViWo
Click here if to listen to Rita Springers' rendition: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEWtPY1QL8&feature=related

"Mighty To Save"
This is another song from the Hillsong music ministry in Sydney Australia. This song is by Reuben Morgan & Ben Fielding. This song has a great reoccuring text. "OUR GOD IS MIGHT TO SAVE". This is taken from the passage in Zephaniah 3:1717 The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
Click here to read more about Reuben Morgan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Morgan
Click here to worship along with the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXCAhKDZRlo

"God of Wonders"
This song by Steve Hindalong has become a classic. Here is a description of how the song came about:

When Marc played the chord progression and melody, it felt really big. I kind of got a chill-I got goose bumps on my arms. I just thought, 'This song needs to be big, with really vast language.' So 'God of wonders beyond our galaxy' was as big as I could think." Having attended an Episcopal church for the last few years, Hindalong has been introduced to a new inspiration for his songwriting. "The liturgy, the old words, is kind of new to me. I flipped through The Book of Common Prayer, and I remember 'Lord of all creation, water, earth and sky.' That became the first line of the song." Lord of all creation Of water, earth and sky The heavens are your tabernacle Glory to the Lord on high God of wonders beyond our galaxy You are holy, holy The universe declares Your majesty You are holy, holy Lord of heaven and earth Lord of heaven and earth But it isn't the vastness of the song that seems to really impact people, relates Hindalong. "People have sent me emails about the song and referred to the second verse. I think the real power of the song is there, when all of the sudden it gets intimate. It says 'When I stumble in the darkness, I will call Your name by night.'
This God that is the God of not only our earth, but of all the worlds, that is so big-but when I'm afraid, when I'm alone, when I sin, when I'm in trouble, He comes close enough that I can call His name. It's the truth that's powerful, not the song. It is that particular truth that is so moving."
Click here to worship along with Third Day & Caedmans' call www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBNE25rtnE
Click here to worship along with Shane & Shane
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B9Bbnu7pLM

"As the Deer"
This song is by Marty Nystrom

Marty Nystrom has written over 70 songs that have been recorded on Integrity Music and Maranatha! Music recordings. He has written songs such as: As the Deer, I Will Come and Bow Down and Times of Refreshing. He has also led worship on five of Integrity Music’s Hosanna! tapes, Forever Grateful, Enter His Gates, Come to the Table, In Christ Alone and We Draw Near. Marty served for three years as Song Development Manager for Integrity Music, Inc. of Mobile, Alabama. It was his job to find new worship songs for the Hosanna Praise and Worship tapes.Marty holds a degree in Music Education from Oral Roberts University. While there he sang with the World Action Singers featured on the weekly Oral Roberts telecasts. After teaching public school for three years, he became the director of the music department for the New York branch of Christ for the Nations.Marty has taught on praise and worship at events all over North America as well as in the nations of Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Italy, Germany, Australia and New Zealand. He has a special heart and vision for the nations and believes that praise and worship will be a major influence in spreading the gospel worldwide.He resides in Kenmore, Washington with his wife, Jeanne, and two sons, Nathan and Benjamin. Marty currently is a part of the worship ministry at Eastside Foursquare Church in Bothell, Washington, pastored by Jim Hayford.

Click here to worship with the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZv3jzOTE70
Click here to listen to Salvadors' arrangement
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpaurbHiiS8

"All Creatures of our God and King "

Take a moment to quiet yourself. Read this hymn slowly, prayerfully. If you sense the presence of God, stop, and rest in his presence. If a picture, or memory comes to mind that seems to be from God, stop, let the picture, or memory go and just rest in God's presence. How does this touch your life? Listen. Be thankful for what God has given.

All creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice and with us sing,
Alleluia! Alleluia!Thou burning sun with golden beam,
Thou silver moon with softer gleam!
O praise Him, O praise Him!Alleluia! Alleluia! Allelu-u-ia!

Thou rushing wind that art so strong,
Ye clouds that sail in heav'n along,O praise Him! Alleluia!
Thou rising morn, in praise rejoice,
Ye lights of evening, find a voice!O praise Him, O praise Him!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

And all ye men of tender heart,Forgiving others, take your part,
O sing ye! Alleluia!Ye who long pain and sorrow bear,
Praise God and on Him cast your care!
O praise Him, O praise Him!Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Let all things their Creator bless,And worship Him in humbleness,
O praise Him! Alleluia!Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,
And praise the Spirit, Three in One!O praise Him, O praise Him!
Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Public DomainWords and Music by St. Francis of Assisi and William Henry Draper
Click here to read the text
www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a100.html
Click here for a traditional choir arrangement
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSb1-9i-fDA
Click here for the 4HIM arrangement
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv25FN7AqVM&feature=related

Jeff will preach from Nehemiah 1:3, chapter 3 on
"The Summit of Brokenness"

No comments: