Monday, April 2, 2007

Church Visiting 101

Well, I visited the Village Church in Flower Mound, Texas last night. I was blessed when two 'twentysomething' guys came up and welcomed me to the service. Honestly I was a little surprised by their welcome and introduction. I've visited the following "mega-churches" in no particular order

1) Lakewood church - Joel Osteen Pastor - this was before they bought the Summit center 1999

2) The Potter's House - TD Jakes Pastor 12/31/06

3) Lakepointe Church in Rockwall, Texas 2001

4) The Village Church - Matt Chandler pastor 4/1/07

Here are some insights and similarities.

1) In all instances there was a traffic jam in the parking lot, I've found that this creates a sense in my spirit that something must be going on in the building.

2) All of the churches were intentional in welcoming me, in most of these experiences I was greeted by a regular member, not an usher.

3) Great teaching in all of these churches, I know some debate Osteen's theology, but when I visited I was more impressed by the total service, and his sermon was only about 24 minutes long. I was also impressed with Lakewood's prayer time.

Last nights service was a video venue, where the music is live, but the sermon is a recording of one of the previous weekend's service. I read later where it was broadcast in HD. After about 5 minutes, you get caught up in the teaching and forget you're watching a video. Matt Chandler is also a great communicator, he holds nothing back. The music was similar to a 722 service with Louie Giglio. Here are some of the songs they sang,

1) O praise the one (Jesus Paid it all)
2) O the wonderful cross
3) Before the Throne of God Above
4) My Chains are gone (chorus only)
5) One Day * not sure but it was the text of the old Hymn - "Dying He loved me, buried he carried my sins far away".

I will say that the 7pm Sunday evening service was full to capacity and they are looking at adding a 7th service at 1pm on Sunday, then 3pm then possibly Monday evenings. There's something going on at the Village!

Blessings, Mark

No comments: