Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Lessons from a Stars Hockey Game



Life is interesting, I found myself sandwiched in between Dallas Stars fans on Tuesday night as they played the Vancouver Canucks. A late cancellation allowed me the opportunity to watch a little hockey. First of all here is a definition of a Canuck -
CANUCK: Pronunciations: ka-nuk’. Function: noun. Etymology: origin unknown. Date: 1835. Definition: a Canadian person.
The American Airlines Center felt more like a Roman gladiator arena. I received my white towel after passing through security along with a lighted neon Stars necklace. I would soon find myself caught up in the hockey frenzy. I was glad my friend Kevin was sitting beside me explaining "icing, slashing, tripping, spearing, offsides, hooking, high sticking and other Hockey rules". After the first period I felt like I was born a hockey fan. The guy behind me wanted # 39 of the Canucks called for hooking, I'm yelling at the ref "Yeah! Hooking it was obvious!". Then # 5 for a hand pass, "Yeah, obvious a hand pass". I was appreciative of this constant feeding of what to ask the ref for, made me at least sound like a hockey aficionado.

Points of the evening.

1) Nothing like a modern arena to bring out the best and worst in the fans. I did hear some words that would make a sailor blush.
2) It's all about following the puck.
3) They review the calls in a video room in Vancouver, really sounds a little suspicious, a canuck calling the shots.
4)The players' names either end in an "O" (Modano, Turco) or you can't pronounce 'em (I didn't see any hockey players from South Beach - in fact only two were from the states on the stars - one from Maryland and Modano from Michigan)
5) One of my life long goals is to get to drive the Zamboni between periods. That's the over-sized lawn mower that grooms the ice.
6) The fans call out the opponents’ goalie by calling his name in a mocking fashion, it was very rude, of course I loved it.
7) Canucks won the game 2-1, Dallas had a puck on the line, I mean right on the line, but it has to cross the line to get the goal. The shot was reviewed in Vancouver; they literally picked up the hotline phone and got the final word from a video review booth north of the border.
8) Boy - ever feel like this? I think that was legal.

Don't worry no one was hurt, there was some blood and a few stitches. I saw a bumper sticker on the way "GIVE BLOOD, PLAY HOCKEY"
FINAL POINT - Dallas didn't finish it, they got the puck on the line, but not across the line. I pondered that for a few minutes thinking about some things in my life I need to finish, things I need to keep contemplating, things I need to keep examining, things I need to keep learning. No goal yet, I think I'll just keep skating!

2 comments:

Linda Shields said...

Enjoyed your account of the hockey game. Only wished I could of been there too. Of course, I watched the game on TV, and I have to confess that John had to change the channels at times so that my blood pressure would return to normal.
Great blog site. Keep up the good work.
Linda Shields

Amy Melsa Photography said...

great post. where do you find the time? amy is looking forward to praising with you guys this Sunday.

Luke