Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stories behind the songs - Sunday April 29

"Sweet Mercies"

We'll begin Sunday with the song "Sweet Mercies" by David Ruis, click here to hear his story behind the song
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-238-SweetMercies-Ruis.mp3

Click here to learn more about David's ministry http://www.davidruis.com/
Click here for the lyrics

"Everlasting"
Great song by Brenton Brown, check him out here.
www.brentonbrownmusic.com/


You can listen to "Everlasting" here: www.firsthurst.com/HURST_worship_resources.php

"I am the Resurrection" Worship Choir anthem
I received this personal note from Dan Goeller about his series of anthems "In His Own Words" click here to learn more about these anthems based on the words of Jesus.
www.firsthurst.com/images/A%20Personal%20Note.pdf

Click here to learn more about Dan's ministry
http://www.dangoellermusic.com/

"You are Good"
Click here to learn more about Israel Houghton's ministry.
www.profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=99989541

Israel leads a worship band called "New Breed" here's their website, you can listen to portions of the songs they sing including "You are Good"
www.newbreedmusic.com/
Click here to learn more about Israel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Houghton

"Amazed"
Lincoln Brewster
I love the simplicity of this song by Lincoln Brewster, click here to learn more about this young worship leader:


Here is an article about Lincoln Brewster in Christianity today. Be the first person to answer this question from the article and win a $10.00 Blockbuster video card. Where was Lincoln Brewster born? Email your answer to mark@firsthurst.com
www.christianitytoday.com/music/artists/lincolnbrewster.html

"Follow on"
W. O. Cushing

Story behind the song: "FOLLOW ON" “I wrote this hymn in 1878, long­ing to give up all for Christ who had giv­en his life for me, I want­ed to be will­ing to lay ev­er­ything at his feet, with no wish but to do his will, to live hence­forth on­ly for his glo­ry. Out of this feel­ing came the hymn, ‘Fol­low On.’ It was writ­ten with the pray­er and the hope that some heart might by it be led to give up all for Christ. Much of the pow­er and use­ful­ness of the hymn, how­ev­er, are due to Mr. Low­ry, who put it in­to song.”
Rev. W.O. Cushing

Interestingly enough this tune is also used by the Rangers Football club with alternate words as a rallying cry for the soccer team. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follow_Follow
Click here to listen to the hymn.
www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/f/o/followon.htm

“Made Me Glad”
By Hillsong worship leader Miriam Webster

I will bless the Lord forever.
I will trust him at all times.
He has delivered me from all fear.
He has set my feet upon a rock.
I will not be moved and I’ll say of the Lord,
You are my shield, my strength, my portion,
deliverer, my shelter, strong tower,
my very present help in time of need.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
There’s none I desire beside you.
You have made me
glad and I’ll say of the Lord,
© 2001 Miriam Webster/Hillsong Publishing


Miriam Webster is an Australian gospel singer-songwriter. Her career began at the age of 15, when she won the interstate music awards. She has since toured Australia, New Zealand and the United States, and released several albums, of which the first is Never Alone. She has been serving with the Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia since 1996 and featuring on numerous Hillsong Music praise-and-worship albums since 1997.

"It is Well, with My Soul"
Click here for a video detailing the story behind the song

www.bluefishtv.com/ProductDetails.aspx?cid=1005&id=1498
Background information here
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_With_My_Soul

To listen to the song click here:
www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/t/i/itiswell.htm

Jason Meyer will be preaching Sunday on the following topic:
"The Invitation"
Luke 19:1-10, II Corinthians 5:17
"Come Just as You are"
come just as you are
hear the spirit call
come just as you are
come and see
come receive
come and live forever
life everlasting strength for today
taste the living water and never thirst again
Stephanie Meyer will minister this song during the invitation, for more on Crystal Lewis the composer click here
http://www.christianmusiclighthouse.com/main/biography/crystallewisbio/index.htm

Offertory this Sunday will be "The offering" by our drama group.

No comments: